Thursday, March 7, 2013

Beer Review: Finding Bigfoot

The biggest problem I have found with my love for all things beer is the incredibly vast selection from which to choose. Because of this, sometimes it takes a very long time to try even the most readily available beers. I can't tell you how many times I have passed by Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, always saying to myself, "I've got to try that." Recently it seems every website I look at, someone is talking about Bigfoot. I took this as a sign to finally bite the bullet and give it a go. All I can say is, it's about time.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot - 9.6% ABV
Barley Wine
Winter Seasonal
12 oz bottle poured into a tulip
Bottled 12/01/2012

Appearance - Deep, rich, molasses color with a thick, frothy, cream colored head that retains well. Excellent lacing to the finish.

Aroma - Sweet, malty, some pungent hops and a bit of sweet oranges.

Taste - Rich and sweet up front. A good balance of malt and hops, good bitterness on the finish. Great hop flavors, piney, sugary oranges.

Mouthfeel - Thick and sticky, well carbonated.

Overall - Impressive. I've heard a lot of people describe it as more of an imperial ipa but I think it's a lot more complex than that. I'm a big fan of the barley wine style in general, but the hoppy ones are really great in my opinion. They normally show great balance and this is no exception. Excellent example of a hop forward barley wine.
Overall 4/5 Style 4/5

Drink On,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment