Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Next Big (Or Small) Thing

It looks as if the next big thing in craft beer is going to be small. Low ABV or "session" beers are looking to become the next major trend in the craft beer scene. For some time now I have been of the mindset that bigger is almost always better. Now I'm certainly not turning my back on big beers, but I have been becoming more and more seduced by the low ABV offerings with surprisingly high flavor that more and more breweries have been putting out.

Like everything else the definitions are a bit debatable, but generally big beers are over 8% and session beers are under 5%. One of the main reason I have leaned towards bigger beers is because of the immense flavor that they tend to have. In my experience, most beers that I've had that are under 6% don't pack that flavorful punch that their big brothers do but recently this theory has been turned on its ear.

Session beers are by no means a new style, but it seems that there is a new emphasis on these little guys that are so often overlooked. With the weather getting warmer for most of us, I give you the top 5 session beers I'm drinking right now that you should be too.

Brooklyn Dry Irish Stout - 3.9%
Dry Stout
Winter Seasonal

21st Amendment Bitter American - 4.4%
American Pale Ale
Year Round

Samuel Adams Double Agent IPL - 5%
Premium Lager
Year Round

Victory Swing Session Saison - 4.5%
Saison
Spring Seasonal

Founders All Day IPA - 4.7%
IPA
Year Round

If you see these beers, grab them. The flavor will make you do a double take at the tiny little number next to ABV and that tiny little number will make you feel better about putting down 3 or 4....or 7. Now if only I could find all of these in cans to sneak onto the golf course....

Drink On,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment