Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Beer Review: Going Against The Grain

Firestone Walker is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries. They seem to do everything well. I've been snatching up everything I see from them and keep coming away satisfied. When I found Velvet Merlin I was very excited; a highly regarded oatmeal stout from a brewery with a reputation of dominance? How could I possibly go wrong?

Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin - 5.5% ABV
Stout/Oatmeal Stout
Fall Seasonal
12oz bottle poured into a goblet
Bottled 01/08/13

Appearance - Black with a thick, super creamy tan head. Good retention and lacing.

Aroma - Smell is chocolate, tobacco, smoke and cola.

Taste - Cola, a lot of smoke and an unusual bitterness on the finish. As it warms up the flavors unfold a little more; chocolate, coffee and some nice hop flavors and a really smokey finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, well carbonated and an extremely dry finish.

Overall - I was so excited to have this one and so disappointed when I did. The smokiness was way over the top and distracted from the other flavors. It looked absolutely beautiful when I poured it and it just let me down from there. It did definitely get better as it warmed up but it still just wasn't for me.
Overall 2/5 Style 3/5

Drink On,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment