Monday, February 4, 2013

A Beer Drinker's Life: Issue 3

Tonight we're drinking Brooklyn Black Ops. Credit to Tom for snagging this bottle for me, thanks man. Black Ops is an Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels and is considered a special release. That basically means its produced in limited quantities, is not all year round and has no particular season. Pours black with a creamy tan head. Aroma is strong right out of the bottle, bourbon, lots of cola and in a surprise twist, bananas. Flavor is almost completely unexpected. Bourbon, faint cola, ripe dark fruits and a hint of some champagne flavors coming through. At first I was unsure if I was really tasting this or if the fact that they used champagne yeast had just burned the thought in my head, but the more I drink the more obvious it is. The champagne qualities come through most in the mouthfeel. Dry and effervescent but with a fair thickness to it. It's strange, this tastes more like a Belgian quad than a stout, I imagine due to the yeast. It has a spice and fruitiness more common to this style. This beer definitely feeds into my barrel aged beer obsession, as well as my craving for unique offerings. This truly original brew comes in at a solid 4/5 and a strong recommendation for anyone who likes barrel aged beers, stouts, Belgians and originality in brewing. Until next time...

Drink On,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment