Friday, February 15, 2013

Issue #14: Playing Both Sides

As an IPA lover I've often wondered why I never see any India Pale Lagers. Why don't I see hopped up lager versions of the popular ale style? I'm sure there have been attempts, but nothing I've ever come across. Until today. Samuel Adams has granted my wish and delivered me Double Agent IPL.

Samuel Adams - Double Agent IPL - 5% ABV
Premium Lager
12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass
Bottled 2013

Appearance - Pours very clear, slightly darker than a golden lager with a big, fluffy white head that lingers forever.

Aroma - Lots of hops, similar to a west coast IPA; fruity, citrusy, grassy and piney.

Taste - Very interesting. At first it's just like a crisp hoppy lager but finishes a bit hoppier and more like an IPA.

Mouthfeel - Average carbonation, medium body, pretty standard.

Overall - Very nice. Great hop character, light and refreshing, really tasty. This is a great session beer and will be a perfect thirst quencher in warm weather. 4/5

Drink On,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment