Saturday, February 16, 2013

Issue #15: Not So Big Moose

In my latest pick-a-six from my local Wegman's, I thought I would be a bit more random about it. Just grab six beers that I've never, not worried about style or brewer or really anything, only requirement was that it was new to me. One of these beers was Saranac Big Moose Ale. From the label I was expecting maybe a brown ale or some type of winter warmer, but it actually turned out to be an American Pale Ale. I find this style to be a little hit or miss; sometimes they are full flavored and bordering on being an IPA but sometimes they fall short and are a bit too bland. After some careful research, my findings are as follows:

Saranac - Big Moose Ale - 5.3% ABV
American Pale Ale
Winter Seasonal
12 oz bottle poured into a pub glass
Bottled 2012

Appearance - Pours a light amber with a tiny, quickly vanishing white head.

Aroma - Actually very nice, lots of hops and slightly spicy.

Taste - Light and refreshing; mildly hoppy and grassy, some sweetness towards the back end with a slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, average carbonation, slick and oily.

Overall - Not bad, but nothing too special and not quite what I look for in a winter seasonal. Not enough flavor and just a bit too light all around, I think it would actually fare better as a spring seasonal. 3/5

Drink On,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment